Monday, February 6, 2017

Music That Crawls Into Your Bones, The Sounds of Knitting



As promised, a playlist to fuel the sounds of knitting.  If you are looking for rated G playlists, "these are not the songs you are looking for, move along."  They're not full of filth and irreverence, but a few song lyrics might make you turn your head and do a, what now?  For your listening pleasure:




The songs are varied and not at all homogeneous.  I have been fortunate in my life to have been exposed to multitudes of different places and people and my lack of roots is probably most reflected in my music choices.  I have moved 12+ times, lived in 8+ cities in 6 states and was weaned on a careful diet of Johnny Cash, the Oakridge Boys, Patsy Cline, John Denver, Simon & Garfunkel, Elvis, the Big Bopper, etc.  Mom is country and Dad was city but they met in the middle at folk.  So in terms of nature, my love of guttural, gets in your bones and haunts you music is straight up from my parents.  If you've not heard Elvis' In the Ghetto or Simon & Garfunkel's anything, you are not living.  Thanks Mom & Dad!  If I had to pick a knitting publication that fit this mood, I would check out Knitting Traditions or Jane Austen Knits.  Earthy, period work yet somehow still timeless.

Nurture. Nurture.  What about the nurture.  Weeeelll, let's blame my 80s penchant on my birthdate, my 90s grunge on my days emulating Dead Poets Society in the suburbs of Chicago the first half of high school and my Caribbean, reggae vein on my second half of high school in the much more diverse suburbs of Atlanta.  And my love of jazz and blues, the standards, Michael Buble, Sinatra, Jonny Lang, Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright, Nina Simone, well that is just simply taste.  Knitting publications that would rock this music might be Twist Collective, Knitscene, or a pattern from Drops.

You will find a lack of my punk/guitar pulse, also from my Chicago days, which would normally feature the likes of Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Muse, Sex Pistols, The Dead Milkmen, etc. This music I reserve for angry house cleaning, getting ready to head out for a night of revelry, or having the "right" kind of company over, if ya know what I mean *wink wink*.    For rebellious knitting, I recommend, oh, ANYTHING from Anna Zilboorg (she's 83!!), Son of Stitch n Bitch Underground Knitwear or my absolute fave for steampunk patterns, Needles and Artifice.

Hopefully this will cushion your mental musings whilst you knit and maybe inspire you to build some playlists of your own for work, play, just general life things.  I would love to hear playlists that are out there, feel free to leave a link to your public playlist in the comments down below. Happy Listening!





No comments:

Post a Comment